So this creation came about one day when my roommate and I were both having a serious craving for apple crumble, but we didn't want to have an entire pan of it in our apartment since it's just the two of us! And voila! Mini apple crumbles were born, and then quickly devoured.
They turned out beautifully (and very tasty!), but I would highly recommend using silicone cupcake liners for easier serving. My paper ones ended up collapsing a bit, and ended up a bit messy. Baking them in little ramekins would be lovely as well!
I just love the cozy smell of apples and cinnamon baking, and these flavours combined with pecans was just delightful!
mini apple crumbles
yields: approx. 4 mini crumbles
ingredients:3 medium apples (tart apples are best for baking...I used elstar!)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 TBSP water1/4 cup chopped Pecans
1/4 cup Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
very small pinch of Salt
2 TBSP Butter
1/3 cup Brown Sugar
1/3 cup rolled cooking Oats
1) First peel and chop up your apples, and place in a small saucepan over medium high heat.
2) Add a the water and cinnamon to this, and let the apples cook until they start to soften (this step will help reduce the cooking time in the oven!).
3) Add pecans to the apples, and stir.
4) Once apples are slightly softened (but not fully cooked), remove from heat and distribute into four cupcake tins (or ramekins).
5) Now prepare your topping by mixing together the flour, baking powder, salt, brown sugar and oats. Then cut in your butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
6) Sprinkle the crumbs over your apples.
7) Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until your apples are nice and soft, and your crumb mixture is crunchy!
If you make these, not only will you have a delicious snack, your house will also smell like heaven. Seriously it will.
p.s. ♥ kelsey