Thursday 11 April 2013

diy: map pendant necklace


I picked up these pretty silver pendant backings and plastic cabachon covers at a local craft shop, and they've been sitting in my craft drawer just waiting to be used.  I decided to scroll through etsy for inspiration, and found several variations of map necklaces!  I'm a sucker for any kind of map (I'm a geography major.. it comes with the territory!), so I knew that it would be perfect.

(this picture is of the back of my calendar...showing all the different maps included!)

At first I tried printing off maps, but that was a nightmare.  Then I remembered that I had an old Ancient Maps calendar stashed away in my room!  I knew it would come in handy one day (hoarding for the win! thanks dad...).

The hardest part of this project was trying to decide which map and what part of it to use!  Now I'm on the lookout for more map diys so I can use up the rest of my calendar! hehe.


Supplies:
-silver pendant setting
-plastic cabachon covers
-white glue
-E6000 glue
-old map scraps
-chain
-jump rings

Directions:
1) Take your plastic cabachon covers and move them over your map scraps until you find somewhere that will work well in a pendant.  
2)  Then, place a tiny bit of white glue over the back of the cover, and firmly press down over your chosen spot.  It may want to slide around a bit, so press firmly and then release and don't touch it again until it's dry!
3)  Once all traces of glue are dried, cut around the cover as close to the edges as possible.
4)  Now, place a dab of E6000 glue onto your silver pendant setting, and firmly press the plastic cover onto it.  Make sure the map is centered before the glue starts to set!
5)  While the pendant dries, measure out your chain to whatever length you'd like.  I chose to make mine nice and long, and added a jump ring instead of a clasp since it will fit right over my head. (jump rings are cheaper, so I like using them in place of clasps when I can!)
6)  Finally, use another jump ring to attach the pendant onto your necklace!



So, you should probably make these, and then go on an adventure!


p.s. ♥ kelsey

7 comments:

  1. These are AMAZING KELSO! I'm so impressed! I love these necklaces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pleaseeee please make one for me?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. W.O.W!!!!!! this post is AMAZING!!! :O

    xxE

    http://eleanaspictures.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did you get the pendants and cabochon covers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the pendants and matching cabochon covers at a local bead and jewelry shop! You should also be able to find them at most craft stores (like Michaels), as well as etsy =)

      Delete

Leave us some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...