Tuesday 9 April 2013

tasty tuesday: blueberry muffins


Today we're talking about muffins.  Blueberry muffins!

Now I'm a big weirdo, and am really not a fan of blueberries.  I know, know.  I'm strange.  Add in the fact that we grow blueberries on our farm, and most people think I'm downright nuts!

However, all hope is not lost!  Because....I like them in muffins.  That's a start right?
I don't know why, since I'm normally not the biggest fan of cooked fruit, but there's something about a blueberry muffin that I can't resist!


Now, I found this recipe on allrecipes, and decided to give it a shot since it had a bajillion reviews....and it did not disappoint!  I think I made it 3 times within a week...it's that good.  I tweaked it a bit, and am so excited to share some goodness with you!

Blueberry Muffins
adapted from: allrecipes - to die for blueberry muffins
Yields: 9-10 muffins
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups Flour
3/4 cup Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
1 Egg
1/3 cup Buttermilk (it's fine to just use regular milk here too!)
1 tsp Vanilla
1 cup Blueberries (fresh or frozen)

{topping}
1/4 cup Sugar
2 1/2 TBSP Flour
2 TBSP Butter (cold)
3/4 tsp Cinnamon

Directions:
1)  Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder into a medium mixing bowl, and stir.
2)  Place oil into a 1 cup liquid measuring cup; add the egg and enough buttermilk to fill to 1 cup.  Add vanilla, and gently stir.
3)  Mix liquids into the flour mixture; mix as little as possible!
4)  Carefully fold blueberries in.
5)  Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 full, and sprinkle topping over*.
6)  Bake at 375 degrees for 18-22 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

*I have replaced the topping with just plain coarse sanding sugar for a bit of extra sparkle and crunch.  It's one of Jordyn's best tricks, and makes them look fancier without adding more calories!


The trick to getting light, delicate muffins is not overmixing the batter!  Try and mix it as little as possible.


Below is an example of a muffin with a coarse sanding sugar topping instead of the streusel topping!


I love when the juices of the blueberries run wild in the muffins, staining everything purple!  Yum!

I can't wait to make these in Summer, where I can pick my own blueberries the size of loonies and bake with them!


p.s. ♥ kelsey

10 comments:

  1. I made similar ones over the weekend and they were SO good!
    Isn’t That Charming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could have one of these for breakfast!! MMmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet :D That cake stand is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm! These look so yummy! I would love one right about now. I am so glad I stumbled upon your blog! I am really loving everything I see here! I will definitely be following you on bloglovin! xx. McKenna Lou
    www.lynnandlou.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave us some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...