This DIY was inspired by our mom. She absolutely loves flowers and gardening!
Kelsey and I found this adorable card on Treat Cards, and we knew we had to get it. For as long as I can remember our mom has been gardening. Our backyard is always bursting with flowers, and is so lovely to be in.
This mother's day we will be lucky enough to celebrate with our mom, and both our grandmothers! Our mom's mom is traveling out from Alberta to stay with us for a while, so that will be lots of fun. Our mom definitely got her love of gardening from her mother, so I imagine there will be lots of flower love happening this weekend!
Now mom will have a new customizable vase to display her lovely flowers in!
This vase is super cute, and you can use it for any occasion. Also you can make the chalkboard label as big or small as you would like!
-vase (any shape or size - we thrifted ours!)
-acrylic paint (we chose to use white)
1) First, wash and dry your vase thoroughly.
2) Pour a generous amount of paint into your vase (more than you think you will need).
3) Tip your vase on it's side, and rotate it, letting the paint completely cover the inside of the vase.
4) Pour out any excess paint (you can put this back in the bottle if you wish).
5) Wipe the lip of the vase clean.
6) Tip upside down, and let dry overnight.
7) Using masking tape, tape a rectangle or square onto the vase (in the exact shape you want your chalkboard message label.
8) Tape exactly around the edges of your first tape rectangle, and peel off the original rectangle.
*or you can always choose to freehand something!
9) Following the directions of your chalkboard paint, paint it on (I painted on one layer, let it dry for a couple hours, and then painted it on another layer and let it dry overnight).
10) Once you are sure your chalkboard paint is dry, peel off the tape. Be very careful while doing this, our chalkboard paint started peeling off with the tape. You may need to hold down the paint layer with a finger while you slowly peel the tape off.
11) Use a toothpick to clean up the edges of your chalkboard label.
12) Now you need to condition your chalkboard. To do this rub a piece of chalk all over the area covered in chalkboard paint.
13) With a slightly damp paper towel wipe the chalkboard clean.
14) Write a fun message!
We made our label quite small, and just used regular chalk for the writing, so we had a bit of a hard time fitting our message onto it! (but props for Kelsey for getting it done!)
After completing this DIY we think that investing in a chalk marker would be beneficial.
I can't wait to give this card to my mom (she is probably reading this right now! oops, uh surprise!!) It is just the right blend of quirky and cute :)
Don't forget to wish your mom a happy Mother's Day this Sunday. Perhaps you can even present her with an adorable painted vase! (or at least flowers)
p.s. ♥ jordyn & kelsey